Advice on gutter repair

Old 08-31-22, 04:03 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Advice on gutter repair

Hello! I’m looking for some input on what type of repair I need to look at for a section of my gutter. I’m seeing water drip behind the gutter (between gutter & fascia) during rain. It’s nothing steady, probably a drip every second or two from a few places on a 3’-5’ section.

Is this an attachment issue, or drip edge issue (possibly lack of drip edge)? Any advice on repair options is appreciated. I included a photo, you can see about 3 small areas where light is coming through between the gutter and fascia.

Old 08-31-22, 04:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Typically it's a roof flashing issue.

Large parts of the country use 5" d- style drip edge on the rakes AND eves, and it isn't long enough to properly cover the gutters. If you got up on a ladder and took a picture of the back edge of the gutter from above, that would likely be more helpful.

Most reputable gutter guys will install strips of flat coil stock in cases where the roof flashing (drip edge) doesn't cover, but some guys don't care and they are usually the low bidders. So the fix might be simple... just add some flashing. But just guessing here, cuz we can't see it.

Salmo voted this post useful.
Old 08-31-22, 04:37 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
In other words the back of the gutter is not tucked under the drip edge so water is getting between the fascia and gutter. Sorry, I had to do that!

jeweler voted this post useful.
Old 08-31-22, 05:20 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks to both of you! That’s exactly what I suspected to be the problem from the ground as well, with it not being tucked in. Either that I thought the drip edge might have been never installed for the last 3’ or so.

I have to borrow a ladder as I don’t own any high enough to access the roof. I’m just trying to get an idea as to the complexity of the repair from the ground for know. I was hoping it could be as simple as adding drip edge to it.

Old 08-31-22, 05:52 PM
Received 388 Upvotes on 337 Posts
Tom Silva on This Old House is obsessive about drip edges that are not spaced at least “a finger’s thickness” away from the fascia and allow water to run down the fascia. It looks like that might be the case at the upper roof in your picture. If that is the case above the gutter, too, bending the drip edge away from the fascia may help your situation.

Old 09-01-22, 05:42 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
Sometimes the drip is caused by the gutter attachment device. If the seam on a gutter spike/screw ferrule is facing up, any penetrating rain water will run toward fascia at the bottom of the ferrule. Because the hole in the gutter for the spike/screw is not waterproof, water will leak out and down the gutter/fascia. Fix is to rotate ferrule until seam at bottom. Any hidden hanger screws/nails through the gutter and into the fascia at a downward angle. Again, since the screws/nail hole in the gutter isn't waterproof, water will leak out and down the gutter/fascia. Fix is to silicon caulk the screws/nail hole area of the hidden hanger inside the gutter.

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 09-01-22, 05:50 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Sometimes the drip is caused by the gutter attachment device.
Anything is possible, but with the picture it's clear that a gap exists.

Another possibility, the gutter was installed with slope, which isn't needed, it this is the low end it could simply be too low to tuck behind the drip edge, assuming one is there. That could be a relatively easy fix to just level up the gutter and reinstall!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: