Tar Drying or curing time

Old 09-03-22, 09:58 AM
J
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tar Drying or curing time

On a 20 hour notice. I met with a Roofer and agreed on the price and had him and the team come to pour hot Tar on an area that is about 70-100sq/ft that is almost flat for water proofing. The slight incline directs the rain water to the gutter.

I was no able to be on the rooftop while they were working because they pour hot Tar and there is only one access point to the rooftop.

They told me that it will be possible to walk on it within in 24 hours. But I left it for 3 days and when I checked it, it was still not dry.

It has been 10 days now and it is till not dry. The Gutter is clogged with the Tar as well.

When I called him three days after it was poured he told me that it will not full dry until the weather gets cold. I read online that it takes 30 days for Roof Tar to dry.

If rains then it will cause a disaster before it dries.

Can anyone give be advice on this and what to do about the gutter. I think the blockage is only the 1st couple of inches. So what is the best way to remove it after dries?

Old 09-03-22, 01:28 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,701 Likes on 1,520 Posts
Tar doesn't so much dry. There are VOC's that will evaporate out which is why it becomes hard and can eventually crack over time. Usually the thinness for installation comes from it being hot. And, during the summer on a hot day it can be enough for a simple puddle to be heated to be liquid. That is why you almost never see tar just put on a area. It is used as a binder to hold other things in place and when there is tar it is often covered with small rocks to protect it from the weather and prevent it from migrating when hot.

As for your situation replacing the gutter is one option. Or, just clean it out. It's tar. It will get hard when it's cold and a gooey mess when hot. Go up there on a hot day and clean out the tar when it's hot and soft. It's not rocket science, just scrape it out. Have some solvent on hand to clean up as needed. The gutter doesn't have to be totally clean. Just get the bulk of it out. I normally use scraps of metal or wood and scrape the tar into a old grocery plastic bag and toss the scraper in there when done to minimize cleanup.

Old 09-03-22, 04:10 PM
J
Please bare with my questions about your response because I am totally ignorant about Tar and do appreciate your feedback.

The total area mentioned was miscalculated during conversion. It is about 160 SQ/FT and at the entrance which is does with a ladder.

I met the contractor through our local hardware store. He brought the extra Tar after he completed the work for a nearby building which has a total surface area of 5000 SQ/FT.

Many people here use Tar for roofing. So I am surprised with your feedback about the way it melts in the heat.

I will go back to the Hardware store to see what was done with the near by building do about it that it still did not dry yet.

We do have other areas that has Tar on it from about 30 years ago. But it also has pebbles on it.

Are pebbles added on top of Tar so that it is still used even if it melts?

The Tar around the gutter is still very far from drying. So I cannot do anything about ut yet. Is it still possible to remove it from inside the gutter after it Dries. I don't want to deal with it while it is not dry yet.

Will it get messy if it rains? I am worried that the Tar will run with the water.

Old 09-04-22, 04:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 720 Likes on 631 Posts
Tar is oil based and shouldn't be affected by rain.

Old 09-04-22, 06:21 AM
J
I spoke to the Hardware store people today and they have informed me that I need to add gravel on top of the Tar.

It costs about 1$ for 55lbs of Gravel and a handyman will spray it over the area for about 15$.

Might need 3-5 bags of gravel for the entire area and will see with the handyman what to do with the blocked gutter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: