Ridge vent selection?

Old 09-26-22, 06:42 PM
K
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ridge vent selection?

Folks -
I've taken on the job of fixing my daughter's roof leak. The leak is at the apex of the roof, and the aluminum ridge vent that was there didn't look to be fastened any too well, lots of loose nails, no sealant underneath (architectural shingles), and it didn't look properly shingled at the ends - it looked like the first shingle after the ridge vent just wasn't there, and there were exposed nail heads on the shingles that were there. The product that was there looked very much like this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Air-Vent-8-...e-Vent/3044670.

So I tried taking the ridge vent off to make repairs, but the ends of each section where they slid into each other and the flanges around the nail holes ended up getting damaged in the process. I put the ridge vent back, with sealant underneath, and with good quality screws and nails with neoprene washers, but there's now a leak in another spot, and I'm pretty sure it's just because of the damage to the vent. The roof otherwise looked fine, including the part that was covered by the ridge vent.

Anyhow, I'm figuring best move at this point is to just replace the ridge vent entirely. I am looking for opinions on what type and which product to use. I've done some roofing, but only small structures (shed, chicken coop, like that) , and haven't previously installed a ridge vent. I have all the usual tools including a coil nailer (HF, but worked fine for a doing 12 x 24 foot shed a couple years ago). Would folks recommend replacing with another aluminum one? Or, one of the sectional plastic ones, to be covered by cap shingles - there seem to be a number of these types. Or, one of the roll out ones, also to be covered by cap shingles.

Expense, within reason, isn't a factor. The ridge is only about 40 feet long. I haven't measured the pitch, but it's reasonably sloped - I've guesstimate 4/12. It'd be nice if it was readily available at the big box store (the Lowe's near them, in Ware Ma seems to have a good selection). Ease of installation, meaning I can't screw it up AGAIN, would be very much preferred.

Thanks for all suggestions, and for reading the long post.

Ken in Granby, CT

Old 09-26-22, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,574 Likes on 1,411 Posts
A product like this is pretty typical nowadays. Comes in rolls or rigid sticks. Just double check that the gap cut out in the roof sheathing is the correct size for the product you are using.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GAF-Cobra-E...ent/1000051403

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GAF-Cobra-S...ent/1000097982

If you get snow, the latter one is probably a better choice.

Once the product is installed you shingle over it with hip and ridge shingles to match the roof color. For 40 feet worth of ridge, you will need just under 1 1/2 bundles of hip and ridge shingles.

Old 09-26-22, 07:30 PM
K
Xsleeper, Thanks for the reply. They are in mid-state Massachusetts, so yes to the snow.

I'll have them measure the gap to check, thanks for the tip.

Ken

Old 09-26-22, 07:53 PM
K
Xsleeper, that Cobra snow country unit seems to come in two widths, 11.5" and 9". I realize they go with different sizes cap shingles. I can't find any guide to help me know which width I need. Is that based on the gap size, or something else?

Much appreciated.

Ken

Old 09-26-22, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
You want the wider one it's actually 13.7" and should fit 12" hip and ridge shingles. The 11.5" is not snow country. It has no filter.

Old 09-26-22, 08:21 PM
K
Thanks. The product seems to be described differently in different places, but seems to be the same thing. The one you linked to at Lowes is listed as "13.7 x 48" but in the pictures, on the box, it shows 11.5".

A product in the same box, with 11.5" on the side, is listed as "11.5 x 48" ( and somewhat cheaper) at my local Home Depothome depot GAF Snow country

It gets confusing, but both sites list the cap shingle needed as 12" , so I'm guessing it's the right one.

Many thanks for the assist. Picking these products can get confusing.

Old 09-26-22, 08:26 PM
Group Moderator
Interesting.

Also looks like someone should tell Home Depot the difference between 11.5" and 11.5'. LOL! (3rd line under their price).

Old 09-27-22, 05:51 PM
K
Ha! I missed that - also on the same line they mention the 12 ' width cap shingles! That's one big shingle, huh?

The following users liked this post:

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: