planning gutter layout and installation

Old 11-02-22, 06:04 PM
W
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
planning gutter layout and installation

Any good sources for this information? What do I need to know? I need to install gutters and downspouts to help direct water away from my foundation problems, and I don't want to assume its as easy as it looks. I have a 1 1/2 story with very steep roof and canted fascia so I'll probably need bracket wedges

Old 11-02-22, 06:10 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,182 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Gutters are a time when I do not recommend DIY - the best product is a seamless system and homeowners cannot got to a big box store and buy this.

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-02-22, 06:24 PM
Received 298 Likes on 254 Posts
Ask This Old House just did a piece about how to install gutters to avoid problems. Search “ask this old house gutters” for several videos and other info.

Old 11-02-22, 06:56 PM
C
Received 86 Likes on 68 Posts
I'm with Stickshift on this...Seamless are way better. They make them to length on site and they are so fast to make and install that the labor costs are not unreasonable. Now if you need to install underground drains to carry the water away from the house, then you might consider handling that part, in consultation with the gutter folks to place the drains correctly.

Old 11-03-22, 09:27 AM
Received 1,052 Likes on 954 Posts
and homeowners cannot got to a big box store and buy this.
Sure you can, not BBS but almost all the building supply stores will make them to your dimensions and for the really long runs, within reason, they will deliver for nominal fee. I've done several homes myself.

IMO, they are easy as long as you have a helping hand!

Old 11-03-22, 11:27 AM
W
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm with Stickshift on this...Seamless are way better.

Not if you're broke. And I won't have help. I've installed short lenths of vinyl gutters over my entrance to keep ice piles from forming, so I'm not worried about the physical effort. I just need to know how to plan slope and downspouts, etc. I have no trees so I don't have to worry about clogs. And I need to figure out the wedge bracket issue since my local big boxes where I would most likely buy don't seem to have them for their systems. I could probably do this in phases, first priority is where water runs off near my garage foundation.

Old 11-03-22, 12:03 PM
Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts
Try this web page for some tips...https://www.caandesign.com/gutter-in...-rain-gutters/

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: