Gutter Replacement - Drips At Hanger Locations

Old 11-24-22, 07:40 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gutter Replacement - Drips At Hanger Locations

Had a reroof done so the gutters were removed and then replaced. Same gutters as they were only a couple years old.
Today it's been raining off and on. One of those damp, cold, dreary days.

I noticed that there were drops of water hanging at regular intervals where the bottom of the gutter meets the fascia (trim coil wrapped). I looked from above and these are all the locations of the hangers. The hangers are cupped (for strength I assume) so there is water pooled up to the bottom of the screw.
This is all around the house. I have some 12/12 and some 4/12. Some has gutter guards and some I haven't installed them yet. Drips are in all places.

Water getting on the fascia, no big deal, but getting behind it is a problem. And why would the water stop wicking through it it's already made it through the screw hold in the drip edge and gutter back?
It's possible it did this before they were replaced and I just never paid attention.

Thoughts?

Old 11-25-22, 07:29 AM
B
Received 227 Upvotes on 201 Posts
If gutter attachment is by gutter nails or screws, make sure ferrule seam is at bottom (6 o'clock).

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 11-24-22, 07:42 PM
K
Also, we haven't had a strong rain. Just drizzling/sprinkling.

Old 11-24-22, 09:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,644 Upvotes on 1,472 Posts
You would have to look and see if the roof edge flashing covers the back of the gutters. If it doesn't, that's why it's leaking.

Old 11-24-22, 09:08 PM
K
That's the same as the drip edge, correct?
If so, yes, it's lapped in all places. The drips aren't all over, just at a lot of the hanger points.
I've spent quote some time looking it over with a flashlight and the only thing that might be a possibility is if it just so happens that the old holes in the gutter happen to line up closely and it's seeping a bit through those. Since the drip edge covers the old holes, they wouldn't have been able to see them and reuse.
Thay really makes the most sense but still seems odd it's so prevalent.

Old 11-28-22, 07:03 AM
K
This is using the hidden hangers

Old 11-29-22, 06:54 AM
Received 1,058 Upvotes on 960 Posts
Sounds plausible.

If the old holes are below the drip edge then it's possible that water could be running down the inside of the gutter and out the hole. Water always seeks the path of least resistance.

If your fascia is wrapped then not much is going to happen except a trail of dirt from the water. A little dab of gutter searer on the inside would fix.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: