attaching concrete roof tiles

Old 12-04-22, 07:13 PM
M
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
attaching concrete roof tiles

I recently had a roof leak and the roofer repaired it.

When he replaced the concrete roof tiles he used some foam adhesive product (like GREATSTUFF?) and it was fine when he left but after 3 hours I went up to check the tiles have lifted.

Our of 12 or so tiles replaced 4 of them were lifted due to the foam expanding more than anticipated.

I removed those four and would like to redo it myself, can someone suggest a good product to use that doesn't expand as much? Location is south Florida if that matters.

Old 12-05-22, 04:14 PM
T
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
Do your tile hang on 1 X 2s? Do they set right on the roof deck? Is there a provision for nailing them? If so probably you can’t get to the top of a tile to nail it. I think Something like liquid nails would work. Maybe black roofing cement but not too close to the edges so it doesn’t seep out when it gets hot.

Old 12-05-22, 05:52 PM
M
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here are some pictures.

This one shows the waterproofing before the tiles are put back. The existing tiles were also attached with some expansion foam.

The original tiles have holes for nails but never used. The replacement tiles for repair have no nail holes.

The next picture shows the five tiles I removed (RED X) due to the expansion of the foam raised the tiles. The stucco patched between the tiles and the vent cracked also due to the tiles moving.

The top of these concrete tiles are flat, but the back side is a bit curved.

Old 12-06-22, 04:44 AM
T
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts
By how much were the tile raised? Was the foam unsightly. The waterproofing should be fine and I don’t see a problem as it is now. I notice that your roofer used mortar instead of cutting a new tile on the left side of the vent. A new tile cut to fit would have been more appropriate. If the tile are not nailed what prevents them from sliding down the roof? If the existing underlayment below what has been repaired is water proof you should be fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: