shingles

Old 07-09-01, 05:09 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

recently i had some leakage problems around skylights& some of my valley flashings started to lift .i bought some ring shank roofing nails & drove them through the shingle & tarred the top of the nails.does anyone know if this is the reasonably correct way to do this?i also could not believe the guy who roofed my house did not tar around the skylights or vents . it didn't leak for 7 yrs but after a typical florida storm i had water stains in several places so itarred everything . did i do the right thing there also ? a roof contr said i didn't HELP

Old 07-11-01, 07:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

I'm not a pro but I'm pretty sure that you wouldn't put tar around any flashing around a skylight or anything else penetrating through the roof. The flashing should be visable. The only place I would put tar is maybe under the shingle that goes over the flashing to ensure that wind doesn't lift it.

Old 07-18-01, 04:13 PM
Visiting Guest
shingles

thanks for the help .i didn'texplain my problem clearly enough though. the flashings on none of my pieces coming through the roof are exposed .what the roofer did was shingle right up to each piece with no tar or plastic seal to the light or pipe. a seal of some kind is standard practice on midwest (indiana) housing. what does anyone think about securing loose flashing under the shingles with ring nails & covering the nail head with tar?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: