Roof removal / replace

Old 07-13-01, 09:49 PM
Visiting Guest
My roof is in need of replacement. I have three (3) layers of asphalt shingles and plan on replacing the roof (do it yourself project) down to the sheathing. What is the best way to remove the shingles (i.e. special tools / tips or tricks)? Once the sheathing is exposed, what if any damage to the sheathing due to previous roofs may need to be and how should it be addressed ? How long can a roof be exposed to the elements once the felt has been installed ? Since this is a weeknight (2- 3 hrs. of light) / weekend project is there a way to do this whole process in stages ? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-14-01, 04:55 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
there are many ways to get the shingles off the roof.you can use a potato fork,buy shingle eaters that are just short handled shovels with notchs in the flat part that help when you get to the nails.when you start you will understand what i mean by when you get to the nails.dont know if lowes etc sell them but most lumber yards have them.you can use just regular flat shovels but when you hit a nail....start at the top work down.check your sheathing for any rot soft spots delamination etc.i kinda doubt you have plywood sheathing if you have three layers of roof on there.buy 30#felt button cap nails and you can have it open to the weather for a couple months if nailed right and dont get any hurricanes.dont tear any more off in one night than you can felt back in.cause the night it definatly isnt going to rain and you are real tired so we can leave it open till tommorrow is the night there will be a gully washer trust me been there and done it never again.you have a project on your hands and i would bet by the time you get done you will be wishing you had hired someone to do it for you.good luck hope it turns out right for you

Old 07-18-01, 02:57 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

With 3 layers I sure hope you have a lot of people to help

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: