Saturated Exterior Wall

Old 02-29-24, 04:07 PM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Saturated Exterior Wall

Hi all. Somehow I got to be 79 and don't visit here much any longer. HOWEVER, I'm watching a neighbor's house while they are a on one year foreign assignment. Here in Boulder, we had the wettest February storm in recorded history, 9" of snow with 1.72" of water. Since Feb is cold it took more than 2 weeks for all of the snow to melt off the roof. Due to a flashing error this slow runoff fed a lot of water into an exterior wall. The composite siding is soft in spots.

I'm meeting with a roofer next week to resolve the flashing issue, but my worry is; WILL THIS WALL and INSULATION EVER DRY OUT??? It is a southern exposure, 2 stories high and no mold has appeared on interior drywall yet. Our climate is pretty dry with lots of sunshine, but a lot of water entered this wall.

Should I let it dry naturally or pursue siding/insulation removal and replacement???

Thanks for any advice.

Old 03-01-24, 02:31 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 840 Upvotes on 737 Posts
Insulation can hold moisture for a long time [and foster mold] It would be best to remove it.
Is insurance involved?

Old 03-01-24, 04:22 AM
B
Received 302 Upvotes on 267 Posts
Agree with getting flashing issue resolved before addressing any resulting insulation issues. To address any resulting insulation issues, you need to find out if outside wall in question has insulation with a vapor barrier and direction the barrier is facing. This will determine if inside or outside of external wall needs to be removed if insulation need to be dried. If insulation has no vapor barrier and/or needs to be replaced, I would remove whichever side is easiest.

Old 03-01-24, 06:30 AM
H
Received 8 Upvotes on 7 Posts
Thanks both. I hadn't thought of vapor barrier or insurance. Does measuring moisture content of drywall make any sense? I text regularly with the owner in London, so I'll inquire about insurance. It seems to me that if removal and replacement is required that going at it from the exterior would be easier than a drywall mess on the inside. The house is occupied by tenants.

One more observation: The damage is not limited to a single stud cavity, but has spread horizontally also.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: