Ventilated Soffit

Old 05-28-24, 04:44 AM
G
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ventilated Soffit

Hello everyone. This is my first post here. I have an overhang on the back of my house that runs under my kitchen floor. It has ventilated soffit that I have been reading should not be there. I just want to confirm that I'm right and it should be solid soffit? Second should there still be insulation in there once I change the soffit? And finally, it has caused a rodent problem. Any tips on if there is anything I could add in there to help with this?

Old 05-28-24, 05:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 869 Upvotes on 760 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

While vented soffit isn't needed there as long as there is insulation between it and the kitchen floor there shouldn't be any issues.

What kind of rodents? mice, squirrels? something else?

Grayborg voted this post useful.
Old 05-28-24, 05:38 AM
G
It is mice that we have been dealing with. It doesn't help that our backyard is basically a forest right now.

Old 05-28-24, 05:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Vinyl soffit is fit fairly loose and a mouse can usually move it enough to squeeze thru. Other than replacing it with wood I don't know how to keep them out ........ hopefully some of the others will have good suggestions.

Old 05-28-24, 09:57 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Upvotes on 380 Posts
What is under the rest of the kitchen floor? If it's a crawlspace, they are (were) usually vented to keep moisture from building up. If it's finished space, I agree, there should not be venting there.

There should be insulation in that space.

Assuming you do replace it with a non-ventilated soffit, I'd recommend something mice can't get through easily. 1/2" plywood/OSB, or aluminum material. I'd stay away from anything too thin like 1/4" or 3/8" plywood.

Old 05-28-24, 11:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
fwiw, all the soffit on my house is 3/8" plywood and while I do get a mice or two in my attic each year - they don't come in thru the soffit.

Old 05-29-24, 07:39 AM
G
@Zorfdt,

Below the rest of the kitchen is a finished basement and I know for sure we have water pipes that run through. Where the soffit is, there was insulation but it looked rotted. This all started because we discovered a leak from our dishwasher which is how we found the overhang in its current condition. The kitchen is being worked on. So, that's how I ended up here. Now for my clarification, are you saying where the ventilated soffit is/was I should replace it with plywood or aluminum?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: