felt paperbuckling-up

Old 07-21-01, 02:37 AM
Visiting Guest
Fellow Do-It-er`s.. I`m working on my 6th roof and have always had a problem getting the felt to lay flat, even moderately flat... Presently, I`m using #15 felt on an OCB 7/16 ths roof at 3" in 12" pitch. I may have added to the buckling problem by having the paper inside the house in the A/C until just before installation, but, I had used 1 1/4 tacks in the middle of the paper, at the start of the run, unrolled the paper aligned with a chalk line appx. 8 feet, then nailed again once on line and taut. I repeated this procedure for the 7 runs which I installed. Since the pitch is less than 4" in 12", I used a 19" first run, then full runs overlapping the previous by 19" for double coverage. Using roofing tacks, I nailed each run down the center at 4 foot intervals, then added nails inline at top and bottom of each run. by the time I got to the 5th run, all preceeding runs were pitifully buckled-up. To complicate, it rained on it( no shingles were put down ) and today, the paper pulled right-up from 80% of the tacks.
H E L P , please, signed : Holy Paperboy...

Old 07-21-01, 04:56 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
try30# felt.if that is not an option quit nailing in the middle.put three or four button caps at the very end and roll 10-20 feet.put the buttons on the top below the line that you will use for your lap,dont understand the chalk line at all.nail it off about every 8-10 inches top and bottom. about every 2 foot or so nail the middle let the sun get to it and it will dry flat if you layed it straight .the more i think about what you are asking the less i understand.felting isnt brain surgery

Old 07-21-01, 06:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
One of the problems is your felt. 15# is out of style. #30 lb is what contractors use. It is heavier and stronger.
you do go to alot of work laying your felt. We just roll it out in a straight line and hit it with the nailer, about once every 12 inches. No nails in the middle. sometimes we dont even use a nailer, we use a slammer instead.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: