Extra roofing cement on new shingles

Old 07-29-01, 12:32 AM
Visiting Guest
In this windy area it is not unusual to see asphalt shingles
flapping up and breaking off. I saw one old gent, while reroofing with 3-tabs, put a spot of roofing cement under
the bottom flap of each tab to help hold them down. I'm
thinking of doing the same, only with laminated instead of
3-tabs. Is there any rational to this or would it be a waste of time?

Old 07-29-01, 03:36 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
not a waste of time at all if you have the time

Old 07-29-01, 12:14 PM
pgrfr
Visiting Guest
It is going to take some time to do but it can't do any harm. Look for tubes of "shingle tab cement" at your supplier. It will be a lot easier and neater to work with a caulking gun than out of a pail of roof cement. Run as long a course of shingles as you can, that way you can hit more than one at a time, or have someone follow behind you to seal them down. If it seems it's too much to do the entire roof you can concentrate on areas you know will get the most wind. Overdoing it is better than not doing it I'd say.

Old 07-29-01, 02:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

I live on the Albemarle Sound in coastal NC, a "windy" area at times.
When I re-roofed in '91 with laminated shingles, I had the contractor put a 6" width of roofing cement under the end and edge shingles around ALL roof edges of my 32' high A-frame (A and dormers).
The laminated shingles are so stiff that I didn't do anything to the invididual shingles, except what came on them.
We've been through several hurricanes (90 mph +), and other windy storms, and have never lost a single shingle.
Adding extra cement under individual shingle would be a good idea, though...whatever will keep them from starting up to break off.
It is worth the extra effort and minor expense.
Good Luck!

Old 09-01-01, 09:27 AM
Visiting Guest
what is the best type of paint to use when painting stucco walls? also, what type of roller should i use?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: