Kitchen Vent Worries

Old 08-21-01, 11:24 PM
Edd
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I was reading through the posts, trying to answer a question. I have a 50 year old house, and it has no attic space, just a built up roof on top of brick walls. Anyway after removing the grease/ dust/ hair encrusted kitchen vertical discharge fan, I bought the big 10" Broan discharge fan to put in its place. I will have to make the hole in the ceiling bigger, which I am not too worried about (maybe), but the problem I have been playing around with is the actual top roofing. I assume the built up reflective means wood with some Tar on top, and then some reflective paint. I also assume that I will need to add some sort of bigger chimney. Is it just a matter of nailing a new vent on, covering the edges with some compound, and then painting the roof the same colour? OR should I be worried about many other things like initially cutting through the roof, and what I might discover there? I'm not quite sure what my main question is but I only want to do this job once, and correctly.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 08-24-01, 12:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

You should be able to cut the old roofing out of the way with a utility knife, and enlarge the hole for a new exhaust vent with a jigsaw or sawzall.
The new roof vent should have a flange around it. Seal under and over the flange with black plastic roofing cement, and then add matching roofing over that.
Good Luck! Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: