Eave flashing for heavy snow area

Old 09-07-01, 12:23 AM
ZZZDonna
Visiting Guest
I'm replacing the asphalt roof on a shed with a 'salt box' style of roof (One slope only, about 9' by 10').

This website's 'roofing felt' advice says "In heavy rain or snow areas we also recommend eave flashing, a strip of smooth or mineral faced roll roofing. This is cut to extend from the edge of the roof to a point 12 inches inside the wall line."

I'm afraid I don't understand this, especially having trouble visuallizing what the second sentence means. Could someone help me with this?

I have a spare piece of aluminum fascia-cover that is about 10" wide on the broad flat part, with about a 2" wide lip. Could this be used for this special roof flashing?

Thank you.

Donna Walker
Upstate NY

Old 09-07-01, 01:54 AM
pgrfr
Visiting Guest
First of all, the term flashing is often misused. Flashing is used to seal any protrusions on a roof or at a point where a roof joins a vertical wall. On most residential roofs, the only place you will have flashing is around chimneys and where dormer walls meet the roof. Vent pipes and such are flashed with flanges or pipe jacks as they are referred to. What you need at your eaves is an ice and water shield. This is a material that is applied to the roof deck or sheathing before any roofing is installed. It is a tacky membrane that seals itself around nails when shingles are installed. When the sun melts ice that has built up on eaves the top melts first and the water cannot flow off the roof. This results in ponding water, which shingles are not designed for. The ice shield forms a barrier under the shingles to keep water from getting in. Depending on how large your eaves are, how steep the roof is, and how much snow you expect to build up on the edges will determine how far up the roof you should extend the ice shield. When they say to a point 12" inside the wall they mean where the roof is over the living area and not just over the eaves. I do consulting in Buffalo, N.Y. and on most public work, where money is no object, it is common to install ice shield over the entire roof before shingles or slate and tile are installed. Expect to pay about $50-70 per roll which will cover about one square or 100 square feet. Put on as much as you can, it never hurts to over do it I say.

Old 09-09-01, 12:41 AM
ZZZDonna
Visiting Guest
Thank you very much for your reply, for taking the time and having the patience to explain things. I really appreciate it.

I'm looking forward to doing this roof right.

Donna Walker

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: