Sealing top edge of a one-slant roof

Old 09-10-01, 12:23 AM
ZZZDonna
Visiting Guest
I have one more question. I am replacing the shingle on a 'salt-box' type of roof on a shed, which has one slanting roof surface. The top-most edge of this roof is what I am trying to do properly.

The prior roof just had shingles hanging over this edge, with some thick tarry stuff along the edge underneath it. Some of these flapping shingle had broken off; overall it looked kinda crummy.

I don't think that drip edge along this top edge is going to do any good. Right now I'm thinking that I should fold the waterproof membrane and tar paper over this edge and nail it down, trimming it off at about 6" to 8 ". Then I would shingle the roof even with this top edge and then put a line of ridge shingles along this top edge.

If anyone has a better idea, I'd appreciate hearing it.

Thank you.

Donna Walker
Upstate NY

Old 09-15-01, 02:45 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
hey donna,i imagine you have already done your roof but in case not-i used to have a contract with a man in syracuse new york that seemed like all he built was those kind of roofs.we tried a bunch of differant ways best we came up with was shingle up to the top get a piece of gravel stop and nail it over the shingles tar the nail heads wont blow off or leak

Old 09-15-01, 04:34 AM
ZZZDonna
Visiting Guest
Actually, you may have caught me just in time.

What is gravel stop?

I've shingled right up to the edge, and also shingled the fascia board at that top end, intending to run a line of ridge shingles along that top edge.

Problem is that the angle to bend the ridge shingles is pretty sharp; the first two cracked somewhat because the weather was cool, so I stopped. Was going to continue today if my pile of ridge shingles got warm enough to bend without cracking.

Thanks for your note.

Donna Walker
upstate NY

Old 09-15-01, 11:51 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
donna,gravel stop is like drip edge but is wider and heavier gauge .instead of a flat ell shape it has a lip(?) at the outer edge.you would have to get it from a supply house not lowes or whatever you have up there we used it for about 40-50 roofs like that never had a callback.where are you in upstate maybe can give you a couple of names of places that carry it or just look in the yellow pages roofing supply contractor supply etc hope this helps
this is kinda what it looks like ---/:lol well kinda any way.it is made of galvanized metal and can be painted to match shingles, house whatever.have a good day
:

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: