Applying roofing compound.

Old 10-11-01, 02:17 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have a recently constructed roof made of bricks laid on concrete T beams and then covered with a thick layer of cement. Now, I am in the process of applying roofing compound so as to protect the roof and its underlying rooms from absorbing rain water. Do you think I should apply the roofing compound directly on concrete or I should apply another solution first like sealer or stabilizer?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-11-01, 02:46 AM
pgrfr
Visiting Guest
I'm not really sure what you mean by "roofing compound" but if the roofing material you are going to apply is asphalt based then you need to prime the surface with asphalt primer. It will assure the roofing material adheres to the masonry deck or substrate as it is called. It is the same principle as paint primer. You'll have to get it at a roofing material supplier.

Old 10-11-01, 04:54 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Roofing compound is like pastic paint but very thick. When spread over concrete it creates a plastic layer which causes crackes and tiny holes to be sealed.

Old 10-11-01, 07:35 AM
pgrfr
Visiting Guest
Checked it out on a website. It is a bitumen product which means it is asphalt based. The concrete should definitely be primed. Check out this site:

http://www.auson.se/takisol_products.htm

Almost anything you want to stick to something should have a primer of some kind.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: