Reinforce or Replace roof???

Old 10-15-01, 02:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

The wood in my roof over the porch has rotted out. Actually
it has holes on both sides. I tore off the shingles and underneath the beams were only rotted at the end. I live in River Rouge and I have a permit to reshingle. I want to know is it o.k. to reinforce the beams from the good part of the wood to the end, or would I have to replace the whole roof?
Also, in my city ice gaurd is required, what is this and do I put it over the whole roof or just around the edges?

Please help......

Old 10-17-01, 12:57 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
cant see why it wouldnt be alright to just reinforce your rotted beam ends with good wood.as far as ice shield or guard it is a 36"wide self sticking piece of rubberlike material.we use it on the bottom eaves and in the valleys.never heard of it being required so maybe you should ask your inspector

Old 10-17-01, 11:27 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanx Mr. Mojo

Thank you for your advice. I will ask the inspector.
It's funny... none of the other communities require this iceguard, maybe it's just something so you'll spend more money.

Old 10-19-01, 06:27 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
River Rouge Ah! I live in southgate and am reroofing this weekend--didn't think you needed a permit to just shingle--oh well hope I don't have any problems--seems it's just a way for city to make $. Had a permit to install new electrical service and the inspector needed two items corrected to pass--I corrected them and never saw the inspector for a follow--up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: