rubber roof

Old 10-28-01, 11:43 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

My front porch has a flat roof. Some years ago I had a rubber roof installed on that porch roof. Now there is one corner of the rubber material that has come loose and is flapping in the breeze. I want to glue this piece back down, but I don't know what kind of glue to use. None of the roofing products on the shelf at my local Home Depot were labeled as being specifically for use on rubber roofing. What would you recommend for use in re-gluing a rubber roof? Obviously I need something that is not going to dissolve or compromise the rubber itself.

Old 10-28-01, 01:48 PM
pgrfr
Visiting Guest
The glue you need is called field adhesive or bonding adhesive. You will have to find it at a roofing supply house. Each EPDM rubber manufacturerhas their own brand but their are some generic ones out there. It is a contact cement that is applied to both the rubber and the deck and allowed to dry until tacky, like tube repair glue. The problem is I doubt you will find anything smaller than 5 gallon containers which run from $85-100. Besides the adhesive, the rubber needs to be terminated at the edges with a termination bar. This is a metal or heavy plastic strip with screw holes in it. The bar is placed over the edge of the rubber and then screwed in place at least every 12 inches. Without this all the adhesive in the world isn't going to hold the membrane down. At the very least you may be able to stretch the rubber over the edge and fasten it with roofing nails spaced 6 inches. Can't tell you more without knowing how the rubber was terminated on your porch. Post back if you can give more details.

Old 10-29-01, 04:25 AM
Visiting Guest
rubber roof

I just climbed out and took a closer look. There's nothing even approximating a "termination bar" as you describe it. The rubber piece which has come loose is about a foot wide, and runs along one edge of the roof. It looks like the guys who did the roof simply laid down a series of these strips over the outside edge of the larger pieces underneath. I examined the rest of the roof, and the outer edges of all these top-strips have come a bit unglued; but at least the rest of them are not yet blowing in the wind. At the edge of the roof there is a metal flange, into which I suppose I could screw a termination bar, if there was one. Hmmm. Any suggestions as to how I ought to proceed?

Old 10-29-01, 10:13 AM
pgrfr
Visiting Guest
The strips of rubber may be capping over the metal edge. The metal you say is at the edge of the roof may have been placed over the rubber to terminate it. If that is the case then the strips are used as capping to cover the heads of whatever the metal was fastened with, nails or screws. What is under the rubber that is coming loose? If you see metal on top of the rubber then it is as I described. The simplest thing I can tell you to do is to find a roof supplyhouse that carries EPDM rubber products. Buy a one gallon can of lap adhesive or "black glue" as it is called. Clean the loose areas with a small amount of gasoline, both surfaces. Mix the glue well, very important! Use a small paint brush and apply the glue to both surfaces and let it try until it is tacky. It's contact cement so wherever it touches first it's staying, take care to avoid wrinkles.

Old 10-29-01, 11:09 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
just wondering if everyone is sure that we talking about epdm and not torchdown.if you put any kind of glue on that its ruined.just asking cause what you are describing sounds like a way to apply torch down modified bituman

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: