bitumen

Old 11-09-01, 02:33 AM
Visiting Guest
mrmojo, you sound like you know about this process. Are there any disadvantages to the torchdown. Is there a time when standard rubber w/adhesive is a better option. I have the same type of roof(flat with metal that now has a leak). I had a roofer talk about the torchdown. How much skill must a roofer have to do this? Is there a concern about weather in the Midwest(snow accumulation on the roof) He mentioned to me there is an option of a white material. Is there a concern about heat generation in the winter with the white as opposed to the standard black rubber. And can you put the modified torchdown right over painted metal, or should you put another surface down first? If you want to walk on the roof after a torchdown, should you put insul board? I heard that insul board is good w/ the cold process because it gives it some cushion, can or should you do the same for the torchdown. Many questions, tell me what you know.
Thanks.

Old 11-10-01, 02:03 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
good morning saint,i hope i know this process i have been using it about 15 or so yrs.still learnin though.they say if you learn something new every day then its not wasted. but...anyway,as far as a gluedown(firestone,carlisle etc)my personal opinion is they may be good on commercial jobs but i just cant get away from the thought of how thin they are and complicated to install.you ask about the midwest and snow i learned the torchdown in syracuse ny,used it in buffalo ny west palm beach fla and now in atlantic beach nc with few flaws or callbacks.the callbacks i have had have been either hurricanes blowing limbs onto it an punturing the membrane or one of my guys letting one of the helpers run alittle- it doesnt look too hard.compared to epdm it repairs really easy.painted metal roof-is it flat or have standing ribs?kinda need more info on what your deck is made of.skill of the roofer i dont know,hes only going up on your house with a torch you would have to decide.we usually use a celotex or similar type insulbaordon metal then a fiberglass base sheet.they have all sorts of colors now for the modified looks like the old 90#roll roofing,white being the hardest to apply in my experiance but after you get used to it just like any thing else.sorry for the long post just trying to give you some info hope it helped some.your roofer is right there he can tell you more abot you specific job than i can general ?s will be glad to tell ya what i know.

Old 11-10-01, 03:20 AM
Visiting Guest
torchdown

mrmojo, thanks for the reply. i ask about the skill of the roofer, because it's kind of hard to gauge his skill. Some things sound good, others do not. I will make that call. Just a few more questions: I live in Cinti, some snow accumulation, but not huge amounts, but the question was raised by another roofer. If the surface is white(which would look better on my house) it will not generate that much heat to melt the snow? What do you think?
My roof is flat, square pieces of tin that are sealed together somehow. There are no ribs. Is it ok to put down just the fiberglass sheet with no insulboard? Or is the insulboard a good idea?
By the way, I had another roofer tell me torchdown is ok for commercial jobs, but gluedown is the way to go for small residential jobs.
thanks.

Old 11-10-01, 04:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
if you apply the torchdown correctly its the same thing a streching a big balloon over your roof.so the snow sitting on it or rain whatever as far as leaks any way wont make a differance may be a cause for concern about the wieght but i really doubt that one color works better than the otheryou are getting into an age old question there is a black roof going to make my house hotter etc.the answer to that is as many people that you ask will have a differant answer.alot of people are selling epdm now what i would suggest is have them bring a sample piece of that and a sample piece of the modified,check for yourself and decide which you would rather have protecting your roof. I have done quite a few tin roofs like what you have,two probs.that we have found is-first they buckle up when you heat them,also the real chance of a fire without a fiberboard under the membrane.yes it can be done with the base sheet only but you have to be really really careful of the heat.have to beat down any raised edges and nail the seams.the reason that i say epdm is better for commercial is in the post below -rubber roof.comes in very wide pieces and that means less time for application.torch down comes in 40"wide rolls and you get 36"coverage i have done 6oo+ sq torch downs in buffalo ny and after i used epdm we will probably never use torch down for commercial again except for repairs.i guess it all comes down to your choice i pesonally prefer the torchdown for residential work i hope i have helped a little good luck- oh yeah,make sure you check for insurance whichever way you decide to go

Old 11-10-01, 06:07 AM
Visiting Guest
thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: