No Felt

Old 11-13-01, 01:35 AM
Visiting Guest
My General Contractor on a new home has told me there is no need to use felt on the roof. He wants to put down the sheathing and then the shingles. His rational is that if you put down felt then you just have to put a bunch of nail holes in the sheathing. What is the purpose of the felt and what will happen if felt is not used beneath the shingles?

Old 11-14-01, 03:34 AM
pgrfr
Visiting Guest
The felt serves several purposes. It is the last barrier between the deck and the weather - important in any cold weather areas due to snow and ice buildup. It also serves as somewhat of a vapor barrier. Felt also prevents wood sheathing from acting on the oils contained in shingles. Old specifications always called for a separator such as felt or resin paper between sheathing and roofing or siding. As far as your contractor not wanting to install it, he is either trying to save money or labor. Four square rolls of felt can be as cheap as $12 per roll and the felt only has to be nailed enough to hold it in place until the shingles are applied. That's not a bunch of extra holes. If he is building your house I would be concerned with what else he wants to cut corners on. I'd make him install the felt.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: