why replace a tile roof

Old 11-13-01, 03:16 PM
Visiting Guest
why replace a tile roof

mik_mik, the roof is over 30 years old and has developed a leak. after several professionals suggested that trying to repair this roof would probably be futile. i decided to go with a shingle roof mostly because of financial reasons but also i just like the look of a shingle roof especially the dimentional shingles. tile roofs are considerably more expensive. also i have noticed that all the houses in my neighborhood were tile when built and probably 1/3 or more are now shingle, which was another sign to me that a repair was probably not the best money. adios, darrel

Old 11-13-01, 10:40 PM
pgrfr
Visiting Guest
Just to pipe in here. With a slate or tile roof the tiles are only there to protect the roofing felt underneath. They are not the primary water barrier. The slate or tile takes the beating from the rain, sun, and snow so that the felt doesn't. Shingles use granules to do the same thing. This part of a roof is called an aggregate. On hot tar roofs gravel or a cap sheet is used. Once the felt under the tiles has started to deteriorate and leak the only option is to remove it and replace the felt. You are making the right move. It's not an easy job for the do-it-yourselfer to remove them and put them back down the same way they came off.

Old 11-14-01, 03:10 PM
mik_mik
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up thanks

Hey, thanks a lot for heads up, I will look a lot different a tile roofs now!

Mik_mik

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: