Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Exterior Improvement Center > Roofing, Gutters and All Waterproofing Anywhere
Reload this Page >

Roof leaks, Detective work, & sorry about the blank messages!

Old 11-28-01, 12:24 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Sorry about those 3 blank messages, but apparetly the forum software had a problem and I paid the price(I wrote the entire message 3 times and it disappeared).

My problem: I have been patching the roof over a large room for several years, and it keeps leaking. It has a slight slope(15 deg) and was covered with 90# roll roofing about 6-8 years ago. I try to map the leaks from inside and then patch any cracks or holes in that general area with Henry's Roof Cement(#204). Sometimes this works a bit, but usually the leaks continue. Because the roll roofing wasn't put on well, there are ridges and buckles in it, and I have also felt along these ridges for soft spots and even covered them with the roofing cement.

I'd like to ask for some advice and suggestions. This may be the last year in this house and I don't own it, or I would redo the roof the correct way. I've seen mention here of torching and of rubber compounds used for patching, but never seen these at Home Depot or the local lumber yards...so any information about these would be great. I've thought to try Sani-Tred but it looks too expensive for small area patching(1 gallons worth of the three components is $130.00 and will cover 25 sq feet 1/16inch thick. Any thoughts about this?

What I'm also thinking of trying is in an area with several leaks, patched many times, is to remove the roofing material down to where I can see the wet area(I've started to do this already) and then track the wetness up towards the peak of the roof. Where the wetness ends, presumably, I have passed the leaking area. From there I would go to the next higher strip of roll roofing and try to pry it up enough to slip a new strip of roll roofing under the old. That seems like the correct way to do it, but I've actually tried to pry up the old strip and it is glued down too well and isn't coming up. So that leaves putting new roll roofing on top of the old without any overlap. That seems like a waste of effort, but can someone tell me if there is a way to make this work.

I've also found I can make the Henry's Roof Cement flow a bit better by letting the full can sit in a bucket of hot water. That makes it easier to use on cold days.

Finding and fixing leaks in the middle of a roof isn't as easy as it looks, it turns out, and if any leak detectives are out there, please don't hesistate to pass on some ideas.

John

Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-01, 12:55 PM
demerick
Visiting Guest
NO ADVERTISING IN FORUMS

XXXXMESSAGE DELETEDXXXX

Forum topics are not to be used as public bulletin board for free posting of ads, solicitations or advertisements of any kind. When forum posts repeatedly promote a product without discussion and advice to a DIYer, it is also considered advertising.

Forum intent is an exchange of helpful problem solving methods and solutions to questions and not public advertisement.

Inappropriate postings not relevent to the intent of the web site or any postings deemed as such by the host, administrator or moderators will be edited and/or deleted.

Policy applies to ALL forums on the web site. No exceptions.

Direct your advertisements to advertisement department. Use "receive advertising info" link provided below.

If you object to policy, contact the Administrator and state your objection.

The "Contact Us" link is provided below.

Failure to comply will result in your being banned from the website.

Web Site Host & Moderator
twelvepole

Last edited by twelvepole; 03-05-03 at 04:17 AM.
Old 11-28-01, 01:53 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Demerick:

How do you apply the XXXXXXXX to get 200 sq ft per gallon. Do you just brush it on quickly, one strokes worth, with a wide paint brush or a roller? Also, does the roof have to be dry for it to stick?

John

Last edited by twelvepole; 03-05-03 at 04:18 AM.
Old 11-29-01, 07:28 AM
demerick
Visiting Guest
roof leaks

Just brush &/or roll the Colorcoat on. It is best for the area to be dry for a good bond.