flashing around chimney

Old 12-03-01, 10:22 AM
S
sunnydude
Visiting Guest
flashing around chimney

Help! I replaced my roof in august. Prior roof had no flashing around the chimney (apart from that installed in the brick work) and there were no leaks around it. I installed flashing around the top of the chimney and the shingles go up the chimney to the brick work flashing. I am getting leaks! Should i just goop the side shingles to get rid of the leak? How do i fix it?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-01, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
trying to picture what you are saying -you lost me on the shingles go up the chimmney etc.i you could explain it alittle cleare r i am sure i can help you

Old 12-03-01, 11:45 AM
S
sunnydude
Visiting Guest
As we worked the shingles up the roof we didn't cut the shingles at the base of the chimney. Instead we curled the shingles up the sides of the chimney. Thought this would keep the water from getting to the chimney. We didn't install flashing along the sides, tried at the top but didn't work so well. Right now i have a piece of flashing tucked under a row of shingles and curling up to divert the rain away from the chimney.

Old 12-03-01, 10:25 PM
i would imagine you have already figured out the problem but if not...you should cut the shingles going up the chimmney flat with the base of same.starting at the bottom front run a single piece of flashing acrosswith about 4''on either side.cut the sides so it lays flat up the side of the chimmney oh yeah have to bend flashing into an l_ shape.take the flashing metal cut it into about 8"pieces fold into another L star at the bottom ovelapping the bottom pice of flashing and work your way uppice of flashing shingle another piece etcat the top after you get both sides done another solid piece overlapping the sides a little caulk and your done.hope i explained this clearly if not post back with any questions

Old 12-04-01, 04:28 AM
S
sunnydude
Visiting Guest
thank you!

mrmojo...thank you for your confirmation of what i need to do! One last question on this though...if i overlap the flashing as i head up the roof, do i put roof goop to keep them attached to the chimney and to the shingles?

Old 12-04-01, 10:53 PM
sunny you can wont hurt anything except get it all over you