before I say yes to roofer...

Old 12-06-01, 12:03 AM
Visiting Guest
before I say yes to roofer...

My insurance co. will pay for new roof. (poor original roof job, they used staples instead of nails.) The roofer they've recommended is going to put new shingles over old ones. I know it would cost more to remove old shingles first so that's why they want to do it this way, but.... is it true that roofing over existing shingles is common and just as good? The roofer is telling me if anything I'll get better insulation.

He's going to use a 25 year shingle. Is that standard?

Also I have staining on sloped ceiling in family room. The shingles that are missing from storm damage is not anywhere near where the leak spot is. Do you think it's acceptable that a new roof will stop further water damage or should I insist they find out where the water damage is coming from?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-01, 01:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Roofing one layer over existing shingles is fairly common to save tear-off and disposal costs, but it usually will not last as long, may void the manufacturer's limited warranty, and is NOT "just as good" (that's my opinion).
"Better insulation"? I don't think so, but it may help to have another layer underneath if you lose a shingle.
A "standard" shingle is usually a 20-year, so the 25-year is o.k.
Water damage from roof leaks that are away from the actual leak area is common. Water runs downhill, along rafters, etc.
The new roofing job should take care of it.
Since your insurance company is paying for it, let it roll. It should last you for years.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 12-06-01, 06:00 AM
Visiting Guest
one more question

Hi, thank you for answering. Do you have any idea how much more it would cost to tear off verses covering over existing roof? (per square foot cost) ?

He's charging 3,890 to cover existing. Tks again.

Old 12-06-01, 08:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

I'm not for sure, but I think that it is an extra $20 per square here (10' X 10' = 100 sq. ft.).
How many squares has the roofer calculated for your job?
Ask him the difference.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 12-06-01, 10:56 PM
hey mike,over here on the coast we get around 65 -90 just to install.tearoffs are around 145and up depending on pitch and all the other stuff.rotted wood time and material 65per.oh yeah dont forget the dump fee,125 a ton 10 sqrs=1 ton.all said and done though you get a much nicer longer lasting job with a complete tear off but we do do a few roofovers when times are slow

Old 12-10-01, 03:03 AM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up reroofing

It's o.k. to lay over the old shingles as long as they are not buckling or severely damaged.
As for the leak in your roof it very well could come from the
spot where the shingles are missing.
A good lay over might answer your guestion,but the contractor
should try and find the problem just to make sure.
I always suggest not to lay over more than 2 layers all depending on the building codes in your area.
GOOD LUCK

Old 01-17-02, 07:22 PM
Visiting Guest
insurance?

just wonderin how you managed to get insurance to pay? i have staples in mine .also they did't use drip edge or h clips in seams between rafters.and to top it off i live in the northwest!!!! is this not a normal practice to use staples? built 1985. my roof is a mess also . Don

Old 01-18-02, 08:39 PM
L
sully969, it may be "o.k." to lay a second layer of roofing over the first, but you missed one very important point in Old Guy's (Mike's) post. I don't know of any roofing mfgr. that will warranty it!! Agreed, it's less labor intensive, and saves disposal costs, but at what price to the homeowner?? The contractor saves $1,000 and can charge $900 less for the job. The homeowner is stuck without any warranty. Sorry guys, I don't operate like that!!