roofing

Old 12-18-01, 11:32 AM
Visiting Guest
Question roofing

I am going to put a small addition onto the side of my mini-barn(18'x12') to store firewood under it to keep the wood dry. I am not enclosing it, just putting 2 sides & roof over it. The siding of the shed is "T-111", which is finished wood with vertical channels running about every 18 inches. My question is about roofing it. It's only going to be about 3 ft. in height, and when I put the angled roof on, do I need to use flashing and if I do, where does that flashing go: over the roofing felt & under shingles, under both felt & shingles, etc? (I'm going to fill the siding channels with clear waterproof sealant to prevent seepage through them) Thanks for any advice.

Old 12-18-01, 02:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

I would cut a horizontal circular saw kerf through the T-111 across the width of the firewood shelter, and bend a 1/2" lip of aluminum flashing to go up into it.
The bottom of this flashing should be bent down (in a Z) and installed over the upper layer of shingles up against the wall, with a cover layer of shingles installed over the flashing for looks. Use black plastic roofing cement over the exposed nails.
You shouldn't need any caulking (which won't last nearly as long as this, anyway).
Then your woodshed will be dried in.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: