Leaking roof

Old 12-20-01, 09:05 AM
kchris
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Leaking roof

Help, we have a very strange leaking problem going on on our den. It is an add on sun room with a cathedral ceiling and two skylights. We have been noticing drip stains dark as coffee on the floor in numerous places. The roof appears ok, it is 9 years old asphalt shingle with a roof vent at the peak. The leaks are coming from under the decorative framing of the skylight opening and from under the light fixture rings? It is intermittent dripping, it has not rained or snowed for at least a month and there is no ice buildup, we have heated cable on this roof. What could this be from? And why is it dark? Any thoughts before we tear the entire roof off this Spring. KChris

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-01, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
dark as coffee,sounds to me like i would look at the skylights first(never could understand why peope pay 100000+for a house and use 10.99 skylights).what i am tryin to say is the leak is probably from your skylights and the dark stain is from the tar ,caulk whatever you want to call it breaking down and getting in.i cant see how a heat strip would help anything except the power company.sometimes water takes a long time to get where its goin eg it has'nt rained in whatever.could be it takes that long for it to seep through the flashings

Old 12-22-01, 02:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The odds are very good it is from your skylight. Here is probably the reason. Skylights are made with a rubber gasket to keep out the mositure. These gaskets only have a life of from 5 to 7 years, and then they need to be replaced. They get brittle from the sun. The moisture is probably condensation, warm day, cool nights, and when enough gathers it makes drips. The black is from the tar, blackjack, and gasket cement used. When were your gaskets last replaced. This is not a do it your self project, unless you are a very good roofer. It only takes about 2 hours to completely redo one. Good Luck