Water In Crawl Space

Old 12-29-01, 06:06 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Water In Crawl Space

WE HAVE A 1 1/2 YR OLD HOME, WITH WATER IN THE CRAWL SPACE. THE BUILDER SAYS SOME WATER IS NORMAL, HOWEVER, WE HAVE WATER IN PUDDLES SOMETIMES 2-3 INCHES DEEP, UNDER THE VISQUEEN, AND SOME PRETTY LARGE PUDDLES ON TOP OF THE VISQUEEN. WE SUPPOSEDLY BOUGHT A LUXURY RETIREMENT HOME IN AN OVER 55 GATED COMMUNITY. THE HOUSES ARE DUPLEXES, AND OUR NEIGHBOR HAS EVEN MORE WATER. THE CRAWL SPACE IS SEPARATED INTO 3 AREAS, SO ONE SUMP PUMP WOULD NOT WORK. WHAT ARE YOUR SUGGESTIONS? AND WHAT WOULD BE OUR RECOURSE AGAINST THE BUILDER? HE HAS MAYBE 3-6 MORE UNITS TO SELL IN THE COMPLEX.

Old 12-29-01, 11:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

I know that it rains a lot in the Pacific Northwest, and water in a crawlspace may be "normal" there, but standing water in a crawlspace is asking for mold and potential wood rot of the flooring structure wherever it is.
The water should be drained out with a perimeter drain tile (plastic pipe with holes in it) in a gravel-filled trench sloped into a sump pump pit or drained away from the house.
Water flows downhill, of course, and you may only need a drain tile on the upper side of your house to solve your particular problem.
You can install these outside and/or inside of the foundation.
If you have rain gutters, make sure that they drain well away from your foundation and downhill from your home.
I'm not an attorney, so I don't know what recourse you may have with the builder, but if you and your neighbors with similar problems approach him together (and he has other homes to sell in the development), he should do whatever it takes to resolve this issue.
If not, THEN contact an attorney, OR the Washington contractor licensing board. You also might contact your local Building Inspection Department (he has to get permits and inspections from them), and they might help with local code on the subject.
Good luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: