Leaking roof question

Old 01-02-02, 10:44 AM
sammy1945
Visiting Guest
Leaking roof question

I have a leaky roof in a valley which has flashing. Leaks in heavy rain - not all the time. It appears (my guess based on what I see from underneath) that a shingle nail went through the shingle, flashing, one side sheeting and lodged halfway into the other side sheeting. From underneath the roof, I can see the nail head and a hole above it in the upper sheeting. Cannot see the hole in the flashing from the angle I can view. I am thinking - there must be a hole in the flashing and if plugged will probably seal the leak. Getting to the flashing will require cutting sheeting around that nail hole and then sealing the hole.

Advice given to me is instead go up on the roof and find out where the water is entering the flashing and plug it. Already tried it once in one area - no luck in closing the leak. I just feel that finding where water is entering the flashing would be difficult.

Is water touching the flashing bad?

What do you think should I go at it from the inside or from the outside. From the inside it is not necessarily an easy access also.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-02, 11:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Seal the leak from the outside only.
Just remember that water runs downhill, and where it leaks inside is not necessarily (and probably not) under the leak.
You can take a water hose up there, and make it leak, if you can't find it any other way.
Then you can seal it with black plastic roofing cement.
Good Luck!
Mike