Tar paper and shingle question

Old 01-07-02, 03:48 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Tar paper and shingle question

When having a house built, is it worth it to upgrade to the 30 pound tar paper instead of the 15?
Are there any disadvantages when using the heavier paper?

What singles are best against the Florida weather? Is there a web site which covers the different brands and advantages and disadvantages?

Old 01-07-02, 04:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

When you're in an area subject to high winds, there is always the possibility that shingles will be blown off.
Wouldn't you rather have 30# vs 15# felt helping protect you from leaks if that happened?
I live on the Albemarle Sound waterfront in coastal Northeastern NC, with similar conditions to FL, and I went with 30# for that very purpose when I re-roofed.
As far as shingles go, I personally went with a 40-year fiberglas (double-bonded) architectural on our 32-foot high A-frame (mostly ALL roof).
I also had the shingle edges of the A and all dormers sealed down with black plastic roofing cement to keep the wind from getting under the edges and starting ripping off shingles.
I re-roofed in 1991, and we have been through numerous gale-force and hurricane winds, and I've never lost a single shingle.
You get what you pay for.
I shopped shingles for a year before I went with what I chose.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 01-07-02, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In addition to what Mike said, there is also a new shingle out. Been out about 6 months. It is what is called a wind shingle. guaranted to 110 mph winds is installed properly. 265 pound, three dimensional shingle. Has to be installed with 2 1/2 in nails
(wind nails). Have installed 5 large roofs with them. They are great. Only a couple of dollars more a square.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: