flat roof skylight leak

Old 01-09-02, 07:13 AM
CortneyH
Visiting Guest
flat roof skylight leak

Good Afternoon,

I have a leak I am trying to fix. In my kitchen, I have two skylights separated by 12 inches. In between them (horizontally and vertically), I have a ceiling fan. When it rains hard I get some water that drips down the ceiling fan. There is a slight water stain about 2 feet downslope on the drywall.

I bought a product from HD (can't remember the name)that I applied with a trowel around both skylights. It seems to have slowed the leak, but I'm not sure if it just hasn't rained as hard.

Here is my problem. I don't have an attic or crawl space to see where exactly the water is entering the house. Do I need to tear out some drywall in my kitchen to find the problem.

Also, in that area of my roof I have 2 layers of ashfault shingles.

Here is a link to an exterior picuter...
http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/corts1971...+House&.view=t

thanks a million,
Cort

P.S. I'm not the bonehead who decided to put it in....just the bonehead that bought the house.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-02, 02:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking leak skylight

Chances are when the skylights were installed they were probably installed wrong 95% of the leaks i see are usually the installer nailed through the flashing around the skylight. wich on a driving rain will leak! smearing roofing cement around the sktylights do nothing but make a mess and put a band aid on the wound but it does not stop the bleeding. do yourself a favor call a roofer pay the couple of hundred it will cost to re-weave the shingles around the skylights you will have a dryer breakfast

Old 01-15-02, 06:36 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Who makes the skylight? We had a nasty problem with our Andersen skylight last year. We were not the original owners, so I was not sure what action Andersen would take. After an e-mail and a 2-3 phone calls, we had a new skylight "top" (the glass part) installed for nothing....