Roofing angles

Old 02-08-02, 01:52 PM
elefntman
Visiting Guest
Question Roofing angles

I need help with the angles on the ceiling joists. I am framing a room. My room is 20 ft wide the rafters will go that direction. The header runs 30 ft . I'm using 2x6's for the joists. My cunfusion is the angle where the joists meet the header. I know theres a tool shaped as a triangle it has notches on it for the proper angles. i have one but i dont know how to use it properly. I've framed a 8x10 room before i got the angles right after about 20 miscuts, and two wasted days . Can anyone tell me how to use this triangle?
Thanks
Ron

Old 02-09-02, 05:52 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
One thing you could do that will save you alot of time and trouble, is to get header/rafter ties. They are a steel plate brace, you can for to the angle you want, and just nail them on. If you do not want to go that route, which I recommend, I would take a string line, attach one end at the top side edge of the rafter where it hits the ridge board, and run it to the outside edge of your top sill. Then measure the angle with a sliding t square, There you have it. The angle will be the same for all providing none of the measurements or angles change on your wall or ridge beam.

Old 02-09-02, 09:12 PM
elefntman
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks I didnt think of that, I'll try it !

Old 02-10-02, 08:26 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Don't know where you are (you didn't say), but, wherever it is, I hope it is a jurisdiction that allows you to use a 'site-built' joist and rafter system. Can't do that in CA -- HAVE to use engineered trusses.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: