Answer to Lefty

Old 02-10-02, 08:39 PM
OldFart
Visiting Guest
Answer to Lefty

Lefty
Thanks for your helpful answer and I appreciate your time and effort. I have taken pains not to drill in the areas where the nails are that hold the 2X 6s together, however I am sure i cannot avoid hitting some of the staples that hold the outside sheathing
to the 2 X 6s as I must drill near the edge but not on the edge. I'm not clear what you mean by "blocking"?? as this is a dome home. Prob my ignorance but ignorance is an OldFart perogative, however I'd rather admit my ignorance and try to clear it up rather than to just let it hang. I have no choice but to drill these holes thru the triangle perimeter 2 X 6s and thru the 2 X 6s for studs within the triangles, the Building Inspectors of Park county CO say I have to. The dome kit as purchased (Natural Habitat Domes out of Plymouth WI) has no provision for venting.
The engineer here in CO who approved the dome plans said that drilling round holes should not weaken the 2 X 6s too much unless I really got carried away. Thanks Again Ray

Old 02-11-02, 06:42 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thanks for the clarification Ray. It included several details that were not included in your original post. Since you have no other choice but drilling these holes, and avoiding the staples will be just about impossible, I would suggest that you get a GOOD bi-metal hole saw to do the job with. A Milwaukee will set you back about $25 or $30 -- so will a half dozen $4 or $5 spade bits.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: