rubber roofing material--- need more info

Old 03-20-02, 10:10 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
rubber roofing material--- need more info

I'm not, by the way, using this rubber roofing for roofing I've recently heard that this stuff could be used as a root or rhizome barrier to keep certain types of otherwise invasive landscape plants contained (bamboo in this case). There is a specific product made for this purpose that is a 40 or 60 mil rubber, 24 or 36" wide, but it is unavailable in this area and shipping it would be cost prohibitive due to weight and distance. I'd never heard of rubber roofing until this and would like more info.

I assume that it is pretty tough, and that the 1-2" that would be poking above ground would not be affected by sunlight since it is a roofing material. How does this stuff come? In a roll? How big are they usually? WxL? Where would be the most likely places to find it? I'm assuming since I've never seen it, that it's not going to be available at Home Depot or Lowe's! Approximately how expensive?

Any information appreciated!

Old 03-20-02, 12:20 PM
Hi Cindy,
What you've heard about is probably the rubber membrane (rolls) which is put down on the roof sheathing before the shingles are applied. It is self-sticking on one side.
Usualy one, but maybe two rows are applied near the gutters to prevent ice damming on northern roofs - prevents ice and water from backing up under the shingles.
What you may want to use in lieu of this membrane is the thick plastic for building ponds. Or try a farm center and get some thick plastic/rubber hay bale covering.
fred

Old 03-20-02, 02:33 PM
roofrat
Visiting Guest
What you have just heard of is called EPDM in the roofing industry. Or rubber roofing. Yes it does come in rolls of many sizes and most times has to be lifted to the roof with a crane. Any local flat roofer or one that does commercial roofing will have some on hand or will be able to tell you where to obtain some. Also try Firestone web site to get more info and telephone numbers to see if the application you are using this product for is really what you want.

Old 03-20-02, 03:34 PM
Thanks, roofrat. At least now I know what to ask for! I suppose it's barely possible that a roofing company may have "remnants" that are too small to be used economically, but which would suit me just fine. The prices I have found through web surfing indicate a price about a third of the actual root barrier product, and it does, at least on the surface, appear to be to all intents and purposes the same thing.

Thanks again!

Old 03-31-02, 04:00 PM
MeffaDawg
Visiting Guest
GAF Weather Watch

Sounds like you could be looking for GAF Weather Watch, sometimes referred to as Ice & Water shield. Has a self-stick side and comes in 36"x54' rolls at home depot.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: