cedar shake roof repair

Old 03-21-02, 12:47 PM
catsathome
Visiting Guest
Cool cedar shake roof repair

I'm wondering about the advisability of letting someone put transmission fluid on my cedar shake roof (10 yrs old). He came round last fall and supposedly cleaned it with detergent and replaced a few damaged shingles. Now he has advised me that transmission fluid will soften the shingles, is environmentally safe and will help it look like new and last longer. My roof does not leak and I am totally naive but all my neighbors seem to be buying into it. Help!

Old 03-21-02, 06:04 PM
roofrat
Visiting Guest
Susan
That is one BAD Idea. First of all transmission fluid is a petroleum base product and if you have ever seen a car that has a transmission fluid leak and parks on a asphalt driveway it softens the asphalt and destroys it. I know you have wood shakes but under each course of shakes you have a asphalt saturated felt underlayment and the worst possible thing that you could have him do is coat your shakes with Transmission fluid. It will go in between the shakes and rot the felt leaving no underlayment and your roof will begin to leak. Second ...Cedar shakes need to breath and if coated with Transmission fluid they will begin to rot. Your roof should last another 10 years without any treatment. Is this man a Roofing contractor? This guy sounds like a fly by night Idiot and I would not let him on my property.

Old 03-21-02, 06:22 PM
tedn332
Visiting Guest
You paid someone to "clean" your shake roof? Was it dirty? And now he wants you to pay him to dump oil on it? The only reason shake roofs dont leak is because of the tar paper put down underneath them. The transmission oil could end up in your attic after it burns through the tar paper. Forget it, if the roof dont leak, dont fix it!!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: