new roof... shingle or metal

Old 03-30-02, 03:53 PM
polish_boy
Visiting Guest
new roof... shingle or metal

as soon as the weather permits i will be replacing our roof. the sheathing is hammered, and the last shingle job was a joke.
i am trying to decide what would be the best roof type to install. the recomended shingle in my area is the t-lock due to the constant wind. a friend suggested a metal roof. cost is of no concern to me as i want the best quality over my head.
all advise is very much welcome

Old 03-30-02, 04:05 PM
roofrat
Visiting Guest
Both CertainTeed and GAF make and Asphalt shingle with a warranty up to 110 MPH. wind speed. Metal roof systems are a very good way to go and the good systems have to be installed by factory trained roofers and inspected.

Old 03-31-02, 03:20 AM
chicd12
Visiting Guest
just make sure you hurricane nail the shingkes &you'll be fine

Old 04-06-02, 12:58 PM
HappyWoofer :-)
Visiting Guest
Great info above.If you do have a metal roof installed here are some points to consider:
1.Make sure the installers are factory certified.
2.All metal roofs are not equal-the cheaper ones can be quite noisy in a rain/hailstorm.
3.Have snow/ice guards installed above doorways,walkways,garage,etc-nothing more eye-opening in the a.m. when you slam the front door to go to work and are covered by an avalanche of snow!You then go to your garage and find a huge pile of "roof snow" has blocked your car in!

Good luck,Woof :-)

Old 04-09-02, 08:22 PM
nycisbest
Visiting Guest
A good source of information on residential metal roofing is the Metal Roofing Alliance website at www.metalroofing.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: