No membrane covering facia; soffit leaks

Old 04-03-02, 12:12 PM
Richardsonski
Visiting Guest
Unhappy No membrane covering facia; soffit leaks

I have leaks coming through my 2 foot wide eaves overhang on my hip roof due to the fact that no weather shield membrane or felt covers the gap between my new facia board and the edge of the decking plywood. My roofers replaced the old facia boards with the new ones AFTER they had applied the weather shield, thereby not covering the facia board up to its outside edge with it, leaving the gap unprotected to water infiltration. They then installed the new drip edge and later the starter and 1st courses. I now realize that the drip edge should have been installed over the new facia board first, with the weather shield then placed OVER them to seal out the creep of melting snow. What do I do now, especially living in the freeze-thaw snow country of Western NY? Can I have the roofer just lift up the starter and 1st courses and apply a 6" wide membrane over the drip edge and hope that the shingles will re-stick themselves adequately or do I have him remove the above shingles, apply the membrane and then put on new shingles (which we have).

Old 04-06-02, 10:03 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You do not need to apply the new fascia first. Usually the drip edge is installed then the fascia goes right up underneath it. If you have kind of an uneven roof line, you usually run a bead of silicone on top of your fascia board before installing it. I doubt your roofers will come back and do all this work, but I would suggest that you just run a heavy bead of clear 100% silicone along the gap to keep the water out. You problem is not that uncommon. Your not alone. Good Luck

Old 04-06-02, 12:26 PM
HappyWoofer :-)
Visiting Guest
This is a common problem and I would look at the attic insulation blocking your sofitt area-there should be an open space from the sofitt to the attic under the wood roof deck-may have to install foam baffles.On warm winter days heat is trapped in the sofitt area(melts roof snow at eaves) and at night when it cools this area re-freezes causing "ice dams"-this constant melt/freeze cycle causes the ice to defy gravity and crawl up the roof.Also important to have sofitt ventilation!The above only applies IF you have an attic-if it's a cathedral ceiling then there are other problems that can be discussed.

Woof :-)

Old 04-07-02, 04:50 PM
roofrat
Visiting Guest
A few facts about Ice dams....HappyWoofer... Ice Dams are caused from lack of ventilation and or insulation. The heat from the interior of the home rises into the attic space and warms the underside of the roof sheathing resulting in snow melting and running down to the Cold soffit areas. Soffit areas DO NOT trap heat as stated by happywoofer they are cold that is why Ice forms at the edges of the roof causing the ice to back up the roof and the water that is melted backs up under the shingles. (Hence the name Ice Dam) Notice the homes that have Ice Dams they will have a lack of snow above the eves where it has melted. When this happens a ventilation calculation should be run and also check the insulation in the attic area. Most older homes do not have enough ventilation and even some newer homes do not meet code.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: