Jack, Roofrat & Happy Woofer...

Old 04-07-02, 06:49 PM
edbreyer
Visiting Guest
Jack, Roofrat & Happy Woofer...

Thanks for your replies to my recent posting- I have one follow-up question...
Is it better to use a closed/weaved valley (over membrane and galv flashing) or an "open" valleywith exposed flashing? I would think the layer of crisscrossed shingles provides extra protection - but I see alot of expensive homes with the exposed valley flashing. Opinions?

Old 04-07-02, 07:01 PM
roofrat
Visiting Guest
Thats up to your tastes..If you do choose and open metal valley you can get them to match the color of your shingles instead of the galvinized look which turns grey and sometimes begins to rust. I think the closed valley looks best not the weaved ones but thats up to you. Good luck

Old 04-08-02, 04:25 AM
HappyWoofer :-)
Visiting Guest
I prefer an open valley because the shingles in this area will fail/wear out quickest leading to an unsightly valley-heavy rain drain areas always wear out quicker.My preference is pre-painted galvanized metal.You won't have to worry about extra protecton from a weaved/closed valley as the gal metal will outlast the shingles.

Woof :-)

Old 04-08-02, 12:22 PM
edbreyer
Visiting Guest
Question

Now I'm confused. I thought a "Closed" and "Weaved" valley were the same thing, but based on Roofrat's reply it sounds like I was wrong. Is there a difference?

Old 04-09-02, 01:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
They basically are the same thing. Just forget it was brought up.
the difference would not matter to you. I really have no preference, however, if you think about it, a closed valley just gives you another layer of water protection. If you are using heavy laminates, then you would probably want an open valley, since these types of shingles will not lend themselves very well to a closed valley.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: