Waterproofing under a deck

Old 04-08-02, 08:28 PM
rodman
Visiting Guest
Waterproofing under a deck

I want to waterproof the floor of a deck. I would like to build a 3 seasons porch and a storage shed under this deck and keep everthing dry. What type of materials should I use? ( please identify materials). This deck hasn't been built yet so our window of oportunity is large I hope. Do you have any Pros and Cons to this idea? Would you suggest using a roofing material than nailing deck boards to that or building two joise's. Also keep in mind I am from the Midwest and we see alot of snow and rain and heat.

want to bulid soon. rodman

Old 04-09-02, 01:47 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have done quite a few of these, especially around lakes. Usually you build the deck first. Deck boards and all. Then cover the deck boards with rubber roofing. Then indoor outdoor carpet is laid over the rubber roofing. These decks have all been in 20 below country with lots of snow. Not a problem if done correctly.

Old 04-11-02, 08:05 PM
rodman
Visiting Guest
Water Proofing under a deck

Jack I appreciate your reply. But were kind of set on wooden deck boards for the deck. The question is would I be able to build the deck as you say. And than build a roof under the platform. Have you seen this done before?
Still looking for ideas.
Rodman

Old 04-12-02, 01:21 PM
demerick
Visiting Guest
waterproofing under deck

XXXXMESSAGE DELETEDXXXX

Forum Posts
Forum topics are not to be used as public bulletin board for free posting of ads, solicitations or advertisements of any kind. When forum posts repeatedly promote a product without discussion and advice to a DIYer, it is considered advertising.

Forum intent is an exchange of helpful problem solving methods and solutions to questions and not public advertisement.

Inappropriate postings not relevent to the intent of the web site or any postings deemed as such by the host, administrator or moderators will be edited and/or deleted.

Policy applies to ALL forums on the web site. No exceptions.
Direct your advertisements to advertisement department. Use "receive advertising info" link provided below.

If you object to policy, contact the Administrator and state your objection.

The "Contact Us" link is provided below.

Failure to comply will result in your being banned from the website.

Web Site Host & Moderator
twelvepole

Last edited by twelvepole; 02-28-03 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-13-02, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I guess you can really do what you want to do, but I doubt if you could really completely keep the under room of your deck water tight without building it separate with its own roof, if you did not do it like I mentioned. Good Luck

Old 04-15-02, 11:46 AM
demerick
Visiting Guest
waterproofing under a deck

XXXXMESSAGE DELETEDXXXX

Forum Posts
Forum topics are not to be used as public bulletin board for free posting of ads, solicitations or advertisements of any kind. When forum posts repeatedly promote a product without discussion and advice to a DIYer, it is considered advertising.

Forum intent is an exchange of helpful problem solving methods and solutions to questions and not public advertisement.

Inappropriate postings not relevent to the intent of the web site or any postings deemed as such by the host, administrator or moderators will be edited and/or deleted.

Policy applies to ALL forums on the web site. No exceptions.
Direct your advertisements to advertisement department. Use "receive advertising info" link provided below.

If you object to policy, contact the Administrator and state your objection.

The "Contact Us" link is provided below.

Failure to comply will result in your being banned from the website.

Web Site Host & Moderator
twelvepole

Last edited by twelvepole; 02-28-03 at 10:40 PM.
Old 04-16-02, 01:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

If you want a "normal" wooden deck over a waterproof area, an alternative is to do what I did when I built my "dried-in" boathouse with an overhead 12'X24' deck.
I framed it up, building a built-in slanted aluminum roof that drained to one side of the boathouse, and then used joist hangers, deck joists and decking for the normal deck above the built-in roof.
Since I now can't get to the roofing except from underneath, I went with rust-proof aluminum instead of galvanized. I suppose you could go with corrugated plastic roofing, as well.
Caulk heavily between the aluminum sheet overlaps as you install them. You can use flashing and roofing tar to seal the roofing at the wall, as you normally would.
I had the extruded aluminum roofing custom-cut to length.
The boathouse has 7' p-t T-111 plywood walls on three sides, and unless there is a major blow through the open end, it is about as dry as it can get.
More like a "boat garage" than a boathouse.
Where there is will there is a way. LOL
Mike

Old 04-16-02, 05:28 AM
rs_petty
Visiting Guest
HGTV to the rescue

The HGTV show Fix-It Up just did this last weekend. They used a PVC vinyl to essentially case in the joists then a runner between the joists to catch the runoff into a gutter system. Pretty clean install. Check their website and you can probably get the manufacturer or other details.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: