installing a new roof

Old 04-25-02, 06:26 PM
daniel.johnston
Visiting Guest
installing a new roof

Not being a roofer I thought I would ask a question or two about installing a new roof.
After removing all the old roofing and doing any repair work on the decking I should install the metal edging on the sides. Next install 15lb felt. What kind of spacing on the nails to hold the felt?
With 2" overlap on the felt. After the felt is installed then I install the metal edging on the bottom edge. The first, or bottom row of shingles I understand is to be installed top side down? Should I put any sealer down to hold this bottom row? After the bottom is started the second row first shingle is cut 6" and 12 on the next? Do I have the right Idea or have I missed anything?

Old 04-25-02, 08:43 PM
roofrat
Visiting Guest
The first thing to do after you have your roof tore off and the sheathing inspected is to install the metal edge on the bottom of your roof and then install Ice and Watershield on the bottom of your roof 24 inches past your exterior wall line. Then install your 15# felt and metal edge up the sides of your roof. There is no set spacing on the nail pattern for nailing felt ,Most roofers staple it if they are covering it the same day. The best way to apply a starter row is to cut the tabs off the shingles so the seal down strip is at the bottom and the first row of shingles will adhere to it and not blow off as easy. Another way to start your shingles is to measure and find the center of your roof, lets say the center is 15 feet or 180 inches. Make a mark at 178 and one at 172 both at the ridge and at the bottom of the roof and snap 2 lines this will give you a 2 inch overhang at the edge that you can snap a line and cut this will give you a 1/2 inch overhang at the edges. Also hang your starter strip over the metal edge at the bottom 1/2 inch. Good Luck Roofin

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: