Shingles failing way too early

Old 05-01-02, 02:57 PM
mramber
Visiting Guest
Angry Shingles failing way too early

My house was built four years ago with Certain Teed Horizon Shangle (25 year) shingles. About once a year in big wind (40mph gusts) I loose a few shingles. I had some left over so at first I would just replace them, but this is starting to bug me.

It seems as if the seal is failing on the shingles. When I am on the roof many of the shingles are still stuck together, but about 30% of them can be lifted. End result, wind under the shingle, and eventualy, the shingle in my yard.

As I find loose shingles, I have been sticking them back down with a dab of roofing culk to prevent further problems.

Is this a common problem? What can I do other than dance around the roof with a tube of culk? Is there any recourse back to the manufacturer?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-02, 05:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
you should get ahold of your roofer ,get ahold of a certainteed factory rep and have them meet at your house.we have replaced a few horizan shangleroofs for lack of sealing but if possible have your roofer there so they cant say installation error.or then again it may be that -not enough nails -not in the right spot etc.certainteed seems to have a good warrenty in my opionion

Old 05-01-02, 09:22 PM
roofrat
Visiting Guest
Mramber

CertainTeed did have a problem with Horizon shangles and surface cracking but that was a number of years ago and have since then corrected that problem. You have stated you want to contact the manufacturer which is the correct thing to do. They will send you a Roofing System/Shingle Evaluation Form for you to fill out and some other instructions. Here is a Phone # for you to contact them. Also ask if a Rep can come and inspect your problem
1-800-345-1145