roofing a shed

Old 05-08-02, 03:15 PM
chuckie
Visiting Guest
roofing a shed

I'll be roofing my 8X8 shed this weekend. I have a square of comp, a roll of 30 lb felt and enough aluminum drip edge for the whole shebang. I didn't want to cough up the $30 needed to get a box of ridge shingles so I was wondering if any of you had a good alternate solution (for the ridge).. Also, the kid a Home Depot told me to put the drip edge on FIRST, then the felt, then the comp. It didn't seem right to me intuitively. I was thinking I'd roll out the felt, cut it right to the edge of my trim, and then install the drip edge, then the comp...
Any help, advice, ideas are welcome
Chuck

Old 05-08-02, 05:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Chuck,
A small shed really doesn't need a drip edge, but it won't hurt.
Put the drip edge on first, then the felt.
You can cut regular shingles for the ridge. It's hard to explain, but you cut the tabs off at a angle and what you have left looks like HOME PLATE. Put them on so the prevailing wind/rain won't be driven underneath.
fred

Old 05-08-02, 05:28 PM
roofrat
Visiting Guest
You are right Chuckie and the salesperson that came out of the trades to work at Home Depot like they say on TV is wrong. By the way Why would anyone want to take a large pay cut to work at that store? Just wondering. Anyway you can buy one package of shingles and cut Boston ridge caps out of them for about
$5.00.

Old 05-08-02, 05:34 PM
Roofrat,
We posted about the same time.

Is that what you caIl them, Boston ridge caps??

Am I right - do they look like home plate??

fred

Old 05-09-02, 06:01 AM
roofrat
Visiting Guest
Thats what we call them in the MidWest and yes they do look like Home plate after being cut from a three tab shingle.

Old 05-09-02, 08:05 AM
chuckie
Visiting Guest
Roofrat & Fred
Thanks guys.

I have, again, been given conflicting opinions; I'm gonna go with felt first, then drip edge, then comp.

Regarding this home plate looking thing: so I just take a regular comp shingle segment, cut it to say 10-12" in width, then cut the shingle end (or the non shingle end?) to roughly a 90 degree included angle, then scale them across the ridge as normal? Is this right? If I'm way off, or sort of off, kick me some more info. Is the purpose of cutting the point strictly aesthetic or is it functional too?
I have to look at the roof of my shed from my deck so I want the thing to look as good as possible within financial and practical reason!

What should I do for the last shingle of the ridge?

Thanks again guys

Old 05-09-02, 09:49 AM
G
The mromal way to cut a 3 tab shingle for ridge shingles is to cut at each of the tab locations, therby giving you 3 ridge shingle from each full shingle. You then go to where the tab normally stopped and cut a triangle shaped wedge at about a 30 degree anglw. Thus the home plate reference.

Here's a figure:
/ \
|___|

As for the lat shingle on the ridge just cut it to fit and nail it down.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: