Price Comparison of Copper Roof for Bay Window

Old 05-10-02, 02:32 PM
Brian1967
Visiting Guest
Question Price Comparison of Copper Roof for Bay Window

I'm adding a new bay window to my house on a fairly extensive remodel. I would prefer a copper roof on the window but my contracter claims that the roof alone for an eight foot wide bay window would add $2,000.00 to the price. (This is mainly just materials - the labor would be only slightly more than a regular asphalt roof - possibly even less labor if we get a pre-assembled copper roof.)

Anyone know if this even close to correct? How does the price of a copper roof compare to asphalt? (Obviously it would be more, but this seems a bit steep to me.) What about copper shingles? I've looked at a number of sites, but no one lists price. I've found companies that sell pre-assembled copper roofs for bay windows (I'm assuming that's expensive) and also a company that sells copper shingle bay window roof kits (I'm assuming this is much cheaper.)

Thanks, Brian

Old 05-10-02, 05:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Copper Roofing

Brian1967,

I am not a roofer but I do alot of design and drafting for clients. When I consider products like these, it is true that the expense of doing a copper roof, such as your bay window, it is expensive. But normally, when you look at the cost for material and labor of application of the roofing material only, it goes like this;

Asphalt shingles - $1.50 - $2.00 per sq. ft. min.

Copper Roof (Standing Seam or Flat Seam) - $15.00 - $20.00 per sq.ft. min.

I have no expereience with pre-built copper roofs since my applications always require custom work. The other issue in prebuilts is, if it is not done locally, the cost for shipping would be very expensive. You could check the web and inquire to approximate costs. Again the variable here would be a prebuilt that MIGHT be available to you brand and size of window. You may have to compromise on actual size to place on your home.
Make some calls to some other roofing companies and get some reaalistic ideas on copper roofs. You might just get a good deal.

Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: