Repairing a metal roof

Old 05-10-02, 01:57 PM
denoe
Visiting Guest
Question Repairing a metal roof

Hi, maybe someone can help me with a product name or recommendation. I have a porch roof 100 yrs plus old. It is a standing seam ridge metal (terne) roof that I want to save. On "This Old House" I caught the end of a repair job to this type of roof. They used a coating of Polyester Mesh and Acrylic system compound. I think the Acrylic is a rubber compound. A four inch wide mesh was used on the seams and a 16 inch width was used on the panels or between the seams. The mesh was laid down while the base coat was wet.Once the base coat was dry, two additional coats of Acrylic was rolled over the mesh. OK! My question, does anyone have experience with this type of roof repair and what brand of Acrylic is best to use? All replies appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-17-02, 08:51 AM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
metal roof

hello
is it an over simplification to look at the repair as you would an automobile and use a marine fiberglass kit-pop rivets would even add to the strength.
peterr-good luck

Old 06-05-02, 09:09 PM
rtcaspu
Visiting Guest
Hello.. I have about 20 years under my belt when it comes to roofs.The stuff on This Old House will work but it really wont be a
metal roof once installed.Try to find a SMALL roofing contractor with a little experence its not that hard to take the old roof off and replace it with new metal which can be bought at a REAL roofing supply house(Not Home Depot etc.)The metal comes in 4by8 sheets tin 0r cooper..... You can even install a metal roof with no solder it all depends on the type of seam used.
Also the other guy that replyed to your message is right also you can fix the roof with auto supply material so long as you clean all areas first. Hope this helps.(Smaller Contractor=Smaller Price)Last time I did one the metal was about
65 bucks a sheet......You probly only need a few sheets...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: