Rain water on Roof Gutter Overflowing and Wet basement

Old 06-06-02, 08:02 PM
samsure
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Rain water on Roof Gutter Overflowing and Wet basement

I am the 2nd owner of a 6 year old RR house. During this raining season I noticed, the rain water on the roof is over flowing and also noticed the corner on the side where the gutter overflow is wet. Since this is a RR home, I could't have a look in the gutter, but suspect something like leaves or twigs blocking the gutter and make the rain water over flow.

I need advice from experts here, since as u see, I am newbie on this all this years I lived in an apartment where every thing was taken care of the maintenance staff.

Since this is the front side of the house and no other solid elevations there, do a 18' ladder will help me to get to clean the gutter? My basement is partialy sunken. I hate to get to the top from the back side (I am not a spider man :-) )

And a overflowing gutter will cause the basement wet?

If I hire a handyman how much he will charge for this job? Or if I buy a 18' ladder and my investment is worth? What type of ladder should I buy for this type of use? Aluminum or steel?

I know I have asked a lot of questions, I know this sounds silly to many, but please understand that I never ever done anything like this before (no I was not living under a rock either :-) ) I am a city guy who used to live only in apartment and moved to suburb and a new home owner.

Thank you and appreciate any advice.

Sam

Old 06-07-02, 08:22 AM
PJMorgan
Visiting Guest
Same issue same boat

I am a new home owner with a damp basement. I have seepage at the joint where the floor meets the wall. My gutters are clear.

You definitely want to start with the gutters. If they overflow water runs down your home and can seep into the foundation rather than drain off in the designated areas.

Good luck!

Old 06-15-02, 11:09 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Checking the roof gutters is definitely the first place to start. They are probably clogged with leaves/debris. The downspouts that drop to the ground are the next place to look. You could always rent a ladder from a heavy equiptment rental yard or hire someone but you should consider if you will need to clean the gutters every 6 months or every year. Buying the ladder may be a better investment. You may also consider installing some sort of leaf guard system to keep the gutters low maintanence.

Old 06-15-02, 07:12 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Wet basement

Make sure the soil around your home is landscaped in a way that carries excess water away from the foundation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: