roofing layers

Old 06-24-02, 09:19 AM
bestdays1
Visiting Guest
Question roofing layers

I am looking at a house that has a newer roof (less than 4 years) however, there are at least 5 layers of shingles. Is that safe? How many layers are acceptable? I live in the midwest where winters are cold and icy and summers get hot!

Old 06-24-02, 08:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Three layers are the maximum. With 5 layers, you and a tremendous amount of excess weight on your roof. It it has 5 layers, it is hard to tell the condition of the subroofing, but I have a fair guess. When people roof over old shingles, there is only one reason. They are cheap, cheap, cheap. We will not roof over old shingles. How do you know what your sub roofing is like if you do not see it ?

Old 06-24-02, 10:16 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Getting a house inspection

Many recommend getting an inspection before buying. Although an inspection may not reveal everything and offers no warranty, it can give you peace of mind. You can also have a contingency in the contract that will release you in the event serious problems are discovered.

http://www.umass.edu/bmatwt/codes.html

Old 06-24-02, 10:27 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Jack The Contractor is dead-on, if they were too cheap to tear off the old roofing four times, then you can bet the roofing was allowed to go beyond failure before the new layer was added. The lastest layer sounds like a visual patch for house sale.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: