Roofs

Old 06-29-02, 09:34 AM
Cliffhanger45
Visiting Guest
Question Roofs

Ok i am putting a new roof on, and i am replacing the roof deck as well. My ? is does anyone know how much over hang there should be both past the ends of the rafters on the sides and also how much it should over hang in the front and back? this house was built about 1915 and was before there were codes. I know what they are now but what should they really be? Also does anyone know of any general lay out plans or guides for doing this? Please advise.

Old 06-29-02, 03:59 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Your over-hangs are usually 12". However in some of the older homes like the time period your talking about they were 18 to 28 inches. Your choice. It also kind of depends on the style of home you have. For instance a Dutch Tudor typically do not have any.

Old 06-29-02, 04:27 PM
Cliffhanger45
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks for the info. as for the style i don't know what they call it. this was an old loging town, 5000 foot elevation,Northern California, lots of snow, steep roofs.and yes they are 12". The eves are also 12" and the old decking stops just at the end of the eves. Thanks again .cliffhanger45

Last edited by Cliffhanger45; 07-01-02 at 09:55 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: