Saging rafters

Old 06-29-02, 11:10 AM
Cliffhanger45
Visiting Guest
Question Saging rafters

This is in referance to the ? from JSG ,( A dip or sag in the roof) answered by Twelve Pole & Jack the contractor.
I have the same problem and you have answered what i needed to know but i have one more little? in sistering a rafter must you use the same size?? say 2X6 or 8 or can you just use 2X4s?? Or is it a case that they would not be strong enough? Also in lineing up the new sisters should you run string line both top and bottem, peak and eves or is there a more accurate way of makeing sure they are level?? Thanks for your help

Old 06-29-02, 05:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You do not use anything less then a 2x6 when sistering. You asked about a string line from top to bottom. I run the string line across the roof instead, this makes your roof level. Up and down may cause you some grief. Run the line across the lowest point.

Old 06-29-02, 05:36 PM
Cliffhanger45
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info and that was what i was trying to say. A string line across the roof both at the top of the roof and bottom. But i will do as you say and try it at the lowest point. Also do i take the sister rafter all the way out to the end of the eves ? or do i stop at the outside edge of the top plate? again thanks. cliffhanger45

Last edited by Cliffhanger45; 06-29-02 at 06:40 PM.
Old 06-30-02, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You can just take it to the top plate if you do not have room to get it all the way out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: