roof pitch for shingles

Old 07-10-02, 11:36 AM
scosh454
Visiting Guest
roof pitch for shingles

I'm thinking of replacing the roof covering on a part of my house, the problem is that particular part of the house has the roofing roll material instead of shingles. and that roll material is warping and causing leaks. Can I put down shingles instead, and how much of a pitch of the roof do you need in order for shingles to be affective?

Old 07-15-02, 09:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need water shield

Any roof with a pitch 4:12 or greater can take shingles with just 1 layer of felt.
Roofs with a pitch of 2:12 to 4:12 can take shingles with the proper underlayment. Minimum requirements from most roofing manufacturers is 2 layers of felt.
I would strongly recommend that you get an ice/water shield to put down under the shingles instead. It costs more, but the water shield is a roof in itself. The shingles would then be mainly decoration. I have seen too many low sloped roofs that still leak with felt underneath.
Most roofing manufacturers have some sort of water barrier such as Moisture Guard, Storm Guard, Ice/Water Shield, and many others.
Any roof that has a pitch less than 2:12 should not have shingles. I don't know of any roofing manufacturer that would warranty their shingles here.
Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: