Roof decking

Old 07-16-02, 09:14 AM
Cliffhanger45
Visiting Guest
Question Roof decking

Hi this is cliffhanger45 again, well the old roof is off as well as the roof decking, i can't believe how they built houses 87 yrs ago. I will be putting in the sister rafters this weekend to bring the decking up where it belongs. but i have a ?? I plan on useing OSB 5/8s for the main roof deck,or roof field and as i have been told use CCX 5/8s around the out side. I understand that i am running CCX from the top plate out to the end of the eves but am i supposed to do the same on the front and rear of the house where there are no eves?? If so please explane how?? As there are no rafters or anything else past the edge of the house to fasten it to. Yes i can nail it to the first rafter edge but thats not going to hold them up let alone the facia bord that gets nailed to the edge of the CCX. Unless I run it back to the second rafter, i am at a loss. Please advise.
Thanks for your help. Cliff

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-02, 02:54 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Run the plywood to the ends of the rafters.
If the the rafters are too far apart to support the plywood without it dipping between them, nail purlines between the rafters at the edges and plywood seams.
If the style of your house does not have eaves on the front and back, re-build the roofing it as it is, or sister rafter extensions out from the existing rafters and create boxed eaves.
The fascia board is nailed to the ends of the rafters, not to the plywood.
Drip edge is nailed to the fascia board (I would use pressure-treated boards for fascia.) Drip edge goes under the roofing felt on the downhill slopes and over the felt on the uphill edges.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 07-17-02, 01:43 PM
Cliffhanger45
Visiting Guest
Thanks but what i was trying to explane is and i think its called the gables that are in the front and back. The eves are on the sides.
The Gable over hangs will be two feet out and will be of plywood 5/8s. at this point i am running them from the 2nd rafter which is two feet inside the field out past the first rafter and out the front of the house two feet. total of 4' And from the front bottom edge will be the front facia bords. does this make any more since?? if not i will try to explane again. also does anyone know what the supports are called that you can put under the facia to help hold it all up if needed? Thanks for you help. I will wate to here if this will work or not as i am now doing it every thing else is done and looks great. :-)

Old 07-17-02, 01:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Eaves are made up of the fascia (perpendicular to ground) and soffits underneath (parallel to the ground).
A 2X4 frame goes from the ends of the rafters back to the side of the house. These are what the soffit is nailed to that makes a boxed eave.
Mike