Incorrectly installed ridge vents?

Old 07-17-02, 07:10 PM
edbreyer
Visiting Guest
Incorrectly installed ridge vents?

The roofers just finished my roof today and Iím not certain the ridge vents are installed correctly. Iím hoping Iím wrong.

The ridge vent they used came in rolls Ė which Iíd never seen before. Itís some sort of plastic extruded mesh with rows of miniature cones and wrapped in in some sort of fabric. Also, they didnít run the ridge vent all the way to the very ends of the peaks.

My biggest concern though is that there really doesnít seem to be much of an air gap along the edges of the cap shingles Ė I donít see how much air can flow through. It seems like the pretty much nailed the shingles down in the normal manner and compressed the ridge vent material. In fact, when looking up at ridge vent in the garage Ė I didnít see any light coming through.

Any comments/opinions on my concerns?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-02, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Roll vent

First, there is nothing wrong with the ridge vents that they have used. It is a type of rolled ridge vent that is very common in certain parts of the country.
Roll vent has the same ventilation capability as other ridge vents.
Second, you don't want to run the ridge all the way to the ends of the peaks because you don't want to cut out the gap in the plywood all the way to the end of the peak. (Nice invitation for bees to make a nest) Most ridge vent manufacturers specify that the ridge run to about 2 feet from the ends of the roof.
As far as the vent being crushed, you may have an issue.
There needs to be about 1/2 to 3/4 inch for the air to flow out of the sides of the ridge vent. If the roofer has nailed to ridge vent down so hard that it has crushed the vent down to nothing, then the air will not be able flow freely out the top.
As long as the whole ridge vent has not been nailed down that way, you probably won't have a problem, but your concern would be valid.
Good luck.

Old 07-22-02, 11:34 AM
edbreyer
Visiting Guest
Thanks Delirious Nomad!

Thanks Delirious Nomad!